Let us begin this blog post by acknowledging the elephant in the room.
This is my first blog post in quite some time.
The fact that I haven’t posted on my blog in so long has made me feel really sad, quite defeated and honestly guilty. I think for a long time I was lacking creativity and the genuine desire to write about something I’m interested in and that I know other people could benefit from. Recently, the creativity has been flowing again and I have been feeling inspired to write again and to share more on here.
My inspiration behind this blog post (and, hopefully, a little “series” to come) is a recent desire to overhaul my beauty products and eventually replace all products with cruelty free alternatives. This is something that has recently become so important to me and it has been quite eye-opening to research and find out which products/brands are cruelty free and which aren’t.
If this is something you are also interested in (even if you’re not), I urge you to do your research about your current products or products you are looking to purchase, and make a decision about what companies you genuinley want to support.
One of the first beauty product categories I have recently transformed is haircare. I have been making the effort to improve the health of my hair, especially since I do get highlights, as it was starting to feel and appear quite dry and dull. My hair is medium-long in length (some hairdressers also say long-extra long), and naturally thick, frizzy and a genuine disaster in humidity. It takes a fair bit of TLC to keep my hair under control, to say the least.
After recently purchasing some Aveda products, I can say that I am officially obsessed. The brand is cruelty free, and do not pay for testing on animals. In addition to this, all of their packaging is 100% post consumer recycled PET. More than 85% of their skin care and hair styling PET bottles and jars contain 100% post consumer recycled materials. I am more than happy to support this brand, especially after trying out the Nutri Plenish Light Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner. These products not only smell amazing, but also make my hair feel amazing. They are moisturising and hydrating, and leave my hair feeling silky soft.
- Olaplex Hair Perfector No 3 – A tried and tested cruelty free product that is loved by many, especially for coloured and treated hair. The perfect weekly or daily mask that helps to repair and strengthen hair.
- Kevin Murphy Young Again hair oil – This hair oil has been my post-wash go to for a couple of years now, and I can’t see myself changing any time soon. It helps to protect from heat tools and nasties in the environment, while improving the elasticity and appearance of the hair.
- Kevin Murphy Leave-in Repair – The second step in my post wash routine is to apply this leave in treatment all over my hair, which works wonders to restore and repair damaged hair to add strength and reduce breakages. Both this leave in treatment and hair oil also help to protect against heat, so I apply both prior to blow drying.
- Aveda Heat Relief Thermal Treatment – A must have for me is a heat protectant to spray onto my hair when using a heat tool. This particular product smells incredible and instantly conditions and softens my hair with the jojoba and sunflower seed oils to protect during heat styling.
- Ouai Wave Spray – When it comes to waving/curling my hair, this product is a holy grail. It smells amazing (clearly this is very important to me) and helps to achieve that effortless/chic undone waves look.
- Kevin Murphy Shimmer Me Blonde – A final step in my haircare routine is always always always this leave in treatment spray. It adds a beautiful shine and fragrance to my hair, while simultaneously moisturising and highlighting blonde hair. For those with other hair colours, the Kevin Murphy Shimmer Shine spray is also a winner.
I hope this post was helpful or perhaps has inspired you to do your research on cruelty free beauty and make some changes. Please let me know if you have tried any of these products out or have any other recommendations!