Happy Sunday everyone!
First off, I’ve been struggling with feelings of guilt this week as I missed posting on my blog last week. That was my first week off since I started my blog and I couldn’t help but feel really disappointed. I basically was just very busy as it was my 25th birthday (yay!) so I was busy having fun and spending time with friends and family however I still really struggled with guilt of missing a week. I think the guilt came from within myself, because I felt as thought if I missed a week then I wasn’t pushing myself to get me where I want to be. However, it’s almost a new week (it’s currently Sunday afternoon) and plenty more weeks ahead to be able to post!
To commemorate my 25th birthday recently, I wanted to compile a list of 25 things that I’ve learnt in my life. Some of them are more superficial while others are a bit deeper, however I think everyone can take something away from this list.
- Being 25 isn’t “old”. I used to think that being 25 was soOoOoOo old however now that I’m here, I feel amazing! I feel like I have achieved a lot and yet there’s still so much more that I want to do (and plenty of time to do it)!
- Work hard, even if you don’t get acknowledgement from your boss. Working hard will always serve you well.
- Literally no one cares what happened in High School anymore. Those days will pass and people soon forget who did what. If High School is a difficult time, it will be over eventually and there is so much more life to be lived outside of those grounds.
- Teenage boys are silly and don’t know what’s good for them. It’s their issue, not yours.
- Cleanse, tone and moisturise every single day. Your skin will thank you.
- Never sleep with make up on. Again, your skin will thank you (as will your bed sheets).
- Your mum was right; you should take a jacket as you will most likely get cold.
- Don’t avoid your responsibilities. It is far more stressful to avoid them as they will creep up on you. Pay your bills, file your taxes, and book your appointments.
- The way we see ourselves is often very different to the way others perceive us. We can’t control what others think, so don’t place so much importance in their opinion.
- You never know what tomorrow might bring, so make sure you tell those around you that you love them and don’t allow shitty people to hang around in your life.
- Don’t accept being treated like shit. You deserve so much better than that.
- If someone upsets you, tell them why and how you feel. If they have a problem with your feelings, it’s their issue and not yours.
- Always check the weather app!
- Other people won’t always give back what you so freely give to them.
- Don’t overpack for a holiday! It’s more important to be relaxing and enjoying the moment than making sure you have 20 different t-shirts.
- Don’t knock meditation until you try it.
- If you don’t have time to wash and style your hair in the morning, do it the night before. Sounds simple, but it really can make a difference in your morning routine.
- Eating well doesn’t have to be boring/gross/repetitive. There are so many recipes online that are delicious, budget friendly and perfect for you.
- If someone’s online content is bringing you down, unfollow them. You will feel a lot better for it.
- Exercise really does make you happier, and it took me a long time to learn this. I always thought of it as a chore or something that I HAD to do and I HAD to workout like other people around me. Truth is, you just need to find a routine or activity that works for you and it will all fall into place and no longer seem like a burden.
- If you want something, ask for it.
- Don’t apologise for being yourself.
- Changing your phone/laptop/tablet wallpaper frequently can honestly boost your mood and improve your happiness at least a little bit!
- Don’t go looking for love, it will always find you when the time is right.
- Work on something that you are passionate about, make that leap and go for it. You never know where you might end up.
I really hope that you can take something away from this list, and maybe add your own advice or tips to it. We are all learning as we go and growing each day. Don’t put pressure on yourself to be where you think you have to be, and focus on where you want to be and tune out the noise of others. As a reminder, we are all human and we all don’t always know what we are doing, and that’s okay! As for me, I still don’t really know how to take a photo without looking completely awkward. Case in point photo two:
I will you all a productive and positive week ahead!
Let me know if you have any other advice to add to this list! Please reach out via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) for queries or just to chat, or instagram (refinedatheart) to see what I’m up to on a daily basis!
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”